11.18.2016

DIY: THANKSGIVING BOOK


This Thanksgiving, I am introducing a new tradition to the LO.  My personal belief is that children remember routine and structure and I want to start a Thanksgiving book that my girls will eventually do every year with the family.  I want this book to teach the LO and her sister about gratitude and being thankful for God's blessings.  
I am from a Filipino family and our Thanksgiving celebration is like any typical Thanksgiving dinner and we devour food as if there is no tomorrow.  We carbo load and stuff sugar without guilt!  But, unlike typical Thanksgiving dinners, we do not sit together around a table.  We also do not talk about what we are thankful for.  My family is not keen on professing their utmost feelings and emotions out loud.  We are more of the 'action speaks louder than words' type of family.  Nevertheless, I insist on wanting my daughters to know the true meaning of Thanksgiving. 

My solution is a simple book.  Every year at Thanksgiving, I will have the LO ask everyone to think about what they are thankful for and for them to write it on the book.  I started the book with three pages: 




A much close up version:


I can't wait for the LO to get this filled up!  This will truly help her understand the true meaning of thanksgiving -- to be thankful for all the blessings we continue to receive.  

Be First to Post Comment !
Post a Comment