3.23.2014

TOYS FOR 6-12 MONTHS


After weeks of research, I have narrowed my list for the ideal Montessori toys for the LO.  The LO is now 6.5 months old.  She is at the "I want to eat everything" stage and "I'm a wiggly worm" stage.  I had to take these two factors into consideration with my choice of toys. 


Sensory Balls, Teethers, RattlesI got the LO sensory balls.  These balls she can hold with her hands and put in her mouth (they're big enough not to fit inside her mouth). They come in 3 in a pack --- one makes a sound, the other is made of crinkly cloth and the other has bristles.  I kept all her plastic rattles and teethers and rotate them.


Cardboard Books, Feel & Touch Books, Peekaboo Books
As you can see, the LO loves her books.  She loves them so much she figured she can eat the edges off.  Am I glad they are made of cardboard material.  The LO loves being read to.  My husband and I often use these books to redirect her when she's getting cranky. 


Shape Sorter
The LO has a hard time going after the balls when we roll them and it makes her upset.  This shapes sorter was given by her aunt and I was keeping it for future use.  I took out the shapes that goes into the sorter and use the shape sorter as ball.  It rolls slowly because of the corners and it is safe for the LO to put in her mouth because it has no sharp edges.

Jack in the Box Music Box
When the little one saw this toy for the first time, she cried.  As in she cried with tears and did not want to have anything to deal with it.  Now, its one of her favorite toys.  She likes seeing the clown pop up so she could grab him and put him in her mouth.  This toy teaches her about object permanence and cause and effect. 

Stand Alone Mirror 
We've had this mirror since the LO was a baby.  As soon as the LO was able to open her eyes, I purchased this mirror.  As soon as she noticed the lady bug and the bumble bee, she has licked and eaten them.  Am I glad they're tightly attached.  This mirror has velcro at the back and can be attached to the crib.  It can also stand by itself.  We do not have a walker/exersaucer by choice and when I prop the LO on the couch to stand I put this in front of her to play with.  

Skwish Toy
I bought this toys because it had great reviews.  It is not my daughter's favorite toy at this time but she will play with it when I give it to her.  According to the reviews, this toy helps babies with their fine motor skills as they play with it.  It is made of stretched rubber and when you either push or pull the balls together, they contract.  Hopefully in a few weeks, she'll like it.  

Russian Nesting Doll
The white coned shaped toy is actually a set of measuring cups.  I got the idea of using a nesting doll from 'How We Montessori'.  The LO is amazed as to how another doll magically appears inside.  This is also one her favorite toys to put in her mouth.  

 

The LO does not have a lot of toys.  We like that she does not.  At this time, she does not enjoy playing with toys yet.  She is content with exploring her surroundings and putting everything in her mouth.  
Be First to Post Comment !
Post a Comment